Sunday, July 8, 2012

Week 2: pre-game post

Here we go!

Well, I'm still on the road. I haven't even had summer holidays yet and I've already logged more miles than I did all of last summer!

I'm here in Regina getting ready for the home opener at Mosaic. The place should absolutely rocking come kick off. Can't wait to experience a not-pre-season game in person. 

Last week was a surprise. It gave us Rider fans hope for a fruitful season. Unlike last year's season of misery. It was a refreshing and welcome relief.

This week we face another test this afternoon versus the Edmonton Eskimos.

Look for Durant to lock down his crap even tighter. His stats last week included a big fat zero in the spot for interceptions. This was particularly exciting, as was Durant's new found confidence and leadership skills. 

After re-watching last week's game I was noted several plays in which Double D was rather lucky he didn't cough up a pick six to one of Hamilton's hungry defenders. I'm hoping he will close up those gaps and make sure those passes become laser-pointed accurate.


I suspect this week's offense will come from the duo Edmonton coach Kavis Reed dubbed "Batman and Robin" aka Weston Dressler (7) and Chris Getzlaf (89). Though we may see Dressler take a back seat to some of the other receivers. Bob Dyce (offensive coordinator) mentioned Dressler got the ball a lot last week because that's what the Ti-Cat defense offered up. It could mean this week Edmonton's defense will offer a different scenario.

I would also suspect Kory Sheets (1) will be once again be a yard burner. He has proven himself to be elusive, skilled, quick on his feet and effortless to watch. I am so excited to see what he can do on home turf!

One the defensive side of the ball Chamblin had his crew work on tackling this week. (Apparently, he was right in there tackling WITH the guys this week. Do I even have to explain why I love this coach so much?) I have no doubt there will be some improvement on defense because of this.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the position of cornerback. The biggest news of the week was Nick Graham (22) getting benched. In the interest of full disclosure - Nick is one of my favourite Riders. However, after re-watching last week's game against Hamilton, I noticed that many of Hamilton's big plays seemed to involve Graham getting trapped one step out of sync or slightly out of position. It's hard to tell for sure as a laymen and watching on network feed, but perhaps Chamblin made the decision to bring in a new and sit Graham to hopefully stop such big plays from happening. The last thing we want to do is give up a big play to the 'Shmoes and then be left playing catch up. 

This home opener looks to be an exciting match up. The 'Shmoes are certainly not the successful regime they were int he 80s when we all learned to hate them. But they could still spoil the party at Mosaic.

The key will be rattling Jyles' (Edmonton QB) as often as possible. And hopefully finding an answer to their defense early and often. I don't want to trail these guys come the half.

Okay, Green and White, I'm ready for winning football. I've yet to see a win live in person and I think this home opener will give us fans exactly what we need to completely shake off the dust of last year's disillusionment.

Win this game and we'll be tied for BC for first in the West. Granted it's only week 2, but I figure it's never too soon to put the league on notice. We're here, we got your number, and if you're gonna get to the Big Dance this year, you're gonna have to get by us first.

Cheer long. Cheer loud! Go GREEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment