Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Week 2: the post-game post


First thing… if you’ve never been to a game at Mosaic, you’re totally missing out. It is an unparalleled experience. The singer could barely finish O Canada and the crowd was going insane. Then the flypast. In formation… Oh my word! I love jets. I love military jets flying low. I mean our family trekked over one province and four states in order to hit the airshow at Offurt air force base in Omaha a couple of summers ago. Just to see the Blue Angels. (I also have family in Omaha, but the airshow dictated the timing of the visit.) Highly recommended airshow, btw.

Just as kick off was about to occur another flypast – this time in single file. The crowd was delighted later in the game when the pilots showed up and revealed their Rider gear under their flight suits. The pilots then took their seats just a few rows in front of us. I still smile when I think about the flypast.

Back to football, because that’s what you came for, right?

Well, here are my observations from the endzone sidelines.

So it was kind of like the football game that almost wasn’t. I know many in the media called the Rider-Eskimo contest a “dog”. “Dull” and “boring” were also used. Though I have to admit the first half was rather uneventful, it was like a standoff. When you consider the first half saw one measly field goal as the big scoring event, it makes you think the offense on both teams were struggling. I do think the ‘Schmoes got some work to do on their offense. Starting at the position of pivot. Their current QBs are mess. Jyles and Joseph looked like amateurs out there. But the Green and Gold had some bright spots. Sadly one of them was Adarius Bowman who went out of the game with a season-ending knee injury. Our condolences.

But our defense was up against a seriously stingy Esks defense. Don’t get on Darian too hard for not throwing the ball. He didn’t have much time to find someone to throw the ball to and when he did have time there wasn’t anyone open. It might have seemed like an offensive misstep and I’m sure there’s work to be done, but when your offense shuts out the opposition, it doesn’t take more than a field goal to win the thing.

Of course, we scored more than a field goal. Kory Sheets (1) found a hole and squeaked in a TD with less than three minutes remaining. Sheets is awesome. If he stays on track and doesn’t get injured, he’s going to melt the records books.

And my little buddy Dressler (7) was like he always is – delightful and fun to watch – doing what he always does: finding holes and making the defense miss. He went in for punt returns after Sinorice Moss (83) went out with an injury and managed to get in some good returns, as well.

Probably the thing that stuck out most to me by the end of the game was the intensity of the Riders’ play. There wasn’t a single snap of the ball where these guys weren’t ready to make something happen. They were driven, motivated (how’d that happen?) and expecting success. The best part? By the fourth quarter these guys were having a blast. They were thoroughly enjoying themselves out there. And why not? From the defensive standpoint they executed a near flawless game plan.

Willis (11) and Hawkins (90) are a powerful duo. They’re like a two-man wrecking crew on defense. If it wasn’t Odell in the face of the QB it was Hawkins. They each snagged one sack each.

And I have to admit: I’m eating crow. I was one of those people that thought we gave up too much to acquire Odell in the off-season. And I wasn’t so sure the former hot-headed Blue Bomber would really be an asset. We’re only two games in and I’m chowing down on a generous serving of crow. He gets the crowd going, acts as a sparkplug on the field for his teammates and is nothing but a menace to the opposing quarterback. Remains to be seen if he can keep it for 16 more games (and I hope he can keep himself in check and avoid those roughing the passer penalties), but so far, I’m picking feathers out of my teeth.

Shomari Williams (99) is a freakin’ force of nature. With five tackles and one sack that guy pretty much destroyed any play-making ability the ‘Schmoes had.

Sam Hurl (31) was also making Eskimos hurt on the field. Kromah (52), McCullough (45) – who is one of the most underappreciated guys in the CFL, Craig Butler (28) – who tagged an interception late in the game and Tyron Brackenridge (41) were all stellar!

As “uninteresting” as this defensive battle was for some, it was definitely a memorable day at Taylor Field for yours truly. I’ve always said: an ugly win is still a win. Though I think anyone who loves defense would probably argue that game was a thing of beauty.

I will be missing Mosaic this Saturday when we face the first serious test of just how far this team has come. We’ll be hosting the B.C. Puddy-tats this week. If you’re going to the game…

Cheer long. Cheer loud! Go GREEN!


No comments:

Post a Comment