Friday, July 5, 2013

Week 2: Stompa da Stamps!


It’s the home opener. Friday night. And we’ve got a showdown with our division rivals – the Calgary Stampeders. Some of us are still smarting from the playoff loss to the Stumps last season, so there’s a bit of revenge in mix as well.

It’s only Week 2 in the CFL, but the stage is already set for one epic battle tonight at Taylor Field. Coach Chamblin threw down the gauntlet for the fans to be as loud as possible. He wants to see how many time count violations we can get Calgary to take. Oh dear goodness, he’s unleashed the beast! Rider Nation will come unglued! I know how loud we are without a direct challenge from the coach. At his instigation they’ll be covering their ears all over Regina tonight. Hang on people!

This will be a historic home opener from the start. New seating has expanded the capacity at Mosaic to 40,000 for this game. Last I heard there were almost 35,000 tickets sold which will make it the largest crowd ever at a Saskatchewan home opener. Suh-weet! I get tingles already.

Kory Sheets is going to make Calgary eat it every time he touches the ball. If we’re going to compare running back stats tonight, I say Sheets will make Jon Cornish look like he’s trying out for the soccer team. Our D will come up and stuff the little Cornish hen.

Getzy is going to have a lot of fun. The Saskatchewan product always has a spectacular game against the Stumps and I have reason to believe this will continue.

It’s Dwight Anderson’s birthday today. Happy birthday, dude! I can think of no better way to celebrate than to see him snag a pick six from Stumps QB Drew Tate.

And while I’m on the subject, why are people raving about Tate? He’s hardly even played as a starter. Didn’t he miss the playoffs last year because of a hang nail? At any rate I hope John Chick introduces himself and often. Between Chick, Foley, Sholo (Shologan picked up two sacks last week against Edmonton) and the newly returned Tearrius George, Tate better be wearing some extra padding. He’s gonna take a beating.

And please, please, someone find a way to distract Nik Lewis! How the big guy can lumber (let’s be honest, it doesn’t look like running) as fast as he can blows my mind! Someone stop him!

I’ll be in the stadium tonight thanks to the generosity of some friends. I promise to fill in their seats and be as loud as my voice allows. This vicious cold I am fighting may dictate exactly how much I can do vocally, but I’ll be doing my best! Stand up, Rider Nation!

The Stumps have won four of their last five trips to Regina. I wanna see them sent packin’! It’s time to Stompa da Stamps!

Cheer long. Cheer loud! Go GREEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment