Thursday, July 4, 2013

Week 2: preview



Much ink and bandwidth has been devoted to the Dwight Anderson situation this week. I hate to add to it. Because truly, what else is left to say? “He’s a hot-head.” “No place for that on the field.” Blah blah blah...

I’m not sure I could add anything intelligent to the discussion. I couldn’t make out what gesture Anderson made on the replay. I couldn’t make out if he was still beaking at the Edmonton sidelines or if he was talking to his teammates. And certainly couldn’t tell you if it was a case of misunderstanding the defensive play signals. Beats me!

What was bloody obvious was Anderson lost his head. We can all agree on that. He eventually calmed down after taking two (!) objectionable conduct penalties. It could be partially to do with his reputation in the league, as well. He has apologized. But stopped short of saying it wouldn’t happen again.

I’m not sure what else some fans are wanting from him. Blood? He apologized. Coach Chamblin is cool with him. I’m cool with him. (He has been assessed a fine by the league, but he is appealing the decision.)

Truthfully, it’s done. It’s time to move on.

In other Rider news, Greg Carr was released. I gotta admit this one shocked me a little. Maybe this was part of an effort to reduce salary costs and get under the cap. I have to admit despite his size he never seemed to quite be able to live up to expectations. Even still, I wish him well. Class act right to the end.

And Superman will not make his debut at Taylor Field this week. That’s too bad. I hope Geroy is feeling better soon. I can’t wait to see him pose in the end zone of Mosaic when he gets his first TD. Hopefully, it’s soon. After all, we paid an awfully big price to get him!

This week we are up against the Calgary Stumps and I gotta admit until last week I was feeling pretty good about our chances. After seeing them play B.C., I’m like… gulp. But I’ll leave my game thoughts for tomorrow.

My picks for the week:

Thursday, Winnipeg visits Montreal. I think the Als have this. Although, I have to say, Calvillo looked a wee bit tired last week AND in the preseason game against Toronto. Honestly, it’s like his feet are made of lead lately. Is he running in sand out there? I hope the Als have better protection for him this week, he can’t take the beatings like he used to. And don’t even get me started on Buck! Oi! I think Winnipeg has a long way to go before they can put together four quarters of quality football. I’m calling Montreal, but I gotta admit I’m not totally sure about this one.

Thursday, Toronto visit BC. After the lickin’ Calgary laid on the Leos last week, BC will be hungry to get the W. Meanwhile, Toronto looks good, but there were a few cracks in the Grey Cup Champs’ armor. I say Toronto comes out on top, but it should be a great game.

Friday, Calgary visits Saskatchewan. There’s no underestimating the 13th man and they are jacked for this contest. And why not? It’s the home opener against their bitter rivals with added seating. Can you imagine 40,000 Rider fans in one place? Bring ear plugs, people. I just hope we come up with a solution to the Cornish problem. Trust me, this one will come down to the wire and I predict Saskatchewan comes up with a win.

Sunday, Edmonton is at Hamilton. Hamilton for sure. They almost eeked out a victory against the reigning Grey Cup champs last week. I’m pretty sure they can handle the Schmoes!

Week 1 offered some surprises and some not-so-surprises. What will week 2 bring? 

Cheer long. Cheer loud! Go GREEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment