Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Thoughts on second week of pre-season

I've got to be honest. I am torn this week. I've been dying to know how Rider practice has gone this week after the disastrous debut in B.C. last Wednesday. I've gobbled up every tweet on Twitter, status on Facebook, article online from coast to coast.

The less-than-stellar showing last week was hardly surprising, really. I mean I was disappointed, but not shocked. I think any fan with a half a brain knew the team is in deep this year. We've got some great things going on, but it's going to take a while to see the seeds bear fruit if you know what I mean.

Regarding the controversy over whether or not B.C. ran the score up in the 44-10 drubbing of the Riders.

Puh-lease!

Of course they did.

I believe they have it enshrined in article number 23, section 1, subsection 3 of the B.C. Lions constitution: Always run the score up when playing the Saskatchewan Roughriders in pre-season play. 

Seriously. C'mon. Was there any doubt? B.C. was bringing five man rushes on the first series for crying out loud! Not to mention keeping in the rather effective QB Mike Reilly for several quarters of the game. I mean was that really necessary? Were the coaches blind? Surely, they had enough in one or two series to see that this guy had the goods.

And I won't even comment on their perennial habit of SAYING they are going to give their back ups and rookies a chance to play and then letting their vets play the whole stinkin' freakin' game. (Or most of it at any rate.)

Puh-lease! 

There was no doubt in my mind B.C. wanted to make a statement with that game. And they did. And whatever. I shrugged. I didn't see much of a controversy. Personally, the questionable part comes where the Lions would have the audacity to be indignant in their denials. Really? It's such a stretch to suggest they ran up the score? It's such a wild, crazy idea that they would want to rub salt in the wounds of the already battered Riders? It's such an inconceivable notion that B.C. would intentionally put up extra points just because they could? Like they haven't done it before?

Puh-lease! Don't make me laugh. They've done it before, they'll do it again. Deny it if you want to Wally, but don't be insulted at the suggestion. It's kind of your M.O.

But as I mentioned I'm torn. The players and the coaches of the Roughriders have been asking fans to be patient as things develop this season. And I agree we need to give them a chance to develop as a team - to gel and work together.

That said, I am absolutely desperate and I mean DESPERATE to watch really good football from the green and white. I am hoping the game on Friday will afford me the opportunity to see some good football. I shall be in the stands watching!

Cheer long. Cheer loud! Go GREEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment