Friday, June 29, 2012

Pre-game thoughts

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's game day!

It feels so good to say that, doesn't it? It's the final countdown with kick off of the 2012 CFL season just hours away.

I don't have enough room on this blog to discuss all the changes in the line up from last years season opener. Trust me. I read a stat this week that said 24 of 42 players that dressed for the first game of 2011 are no longer in Green and White.

Wowsa!

So print out a roster so you can keep track of who's who! Yer gonna need it. [For the first several games of this season, I will include player numbers whenever I can. I apologize if this makes it cumbersome to read, but with so many roster changes it's incredibly hard to keep up.]

Darian's Posse

I am going to highlight a couple of things I think are key. The first being our O-line. Let's face it, last year our O-line was no better than a wet paper bag and Darian (4) spent far too much time running for his life. And when he wasn't running for his life he was picking snaps out of his shoe laces or performing some sort of acrobatics to keep the boggled snap from going awry. I am confident those days are behind us. His protective posse are as follows... Xavier Fulton (58), Brendon LaBatte (57), Dominic Picard (68), Ben Heenan (65) and Chris Patrick (59). (Chris Best is still nursing a foot injury so we will get our first peek at number one draft pick Ben Heenan.)

Those guys are a lot bigger than the dudes they are replacing. They are also a lot younger, which means it may take a few games before Darian can sit back in the pocket for an extended period of time.

So those are the guys who will our quarterback in the game. Now who is Double D looking at tossing to? We've got an experienced troop with one very notable exception. Wide receivers will include Rob Bagg (6) (returning after a year-long recovery from a torn knee) and new comer Justin Harper (82). Lining up at slotback is my buddy Dressler (7), plus Getzlaf (89) and Sisco (12) with Hill (80) and Moss (83) backing them up. Hughes (32) and McHenry (18) will be the fullbacks.

The notable newcomer is at running back. Keep your eyes on number 1, Kory Sheets. If I could make one prediction this year it's that Sheets is going to have a stellar year. Give him a few more games to get into the rhythm and he'll be dangerous. Seriously dangerous. The kind of dangerous where you're glad the guy is on our side. In his two pre-season showings he's already got 110 yards and two touchdowns on just nine carries. This guy is the real deal.

Defense

Look for the defense to be more aggressive this year. Though last year they were about as aggressive as a pack of grandmas out there.

Probably two most notable new guys one the defensive side of the ball will be former Blue Bummer Oddell Willis (11) and a newly healthy Brent Hawkins (90) - both defensive ends. If these guys can get some pressure on Burris, it will make all the difference in the outcome of the game. Throw Henreeeeeee off his game and let our offense do the rest. Watch for number 92 Zack (Sacks) Evans. He'll be backing up Shologan (74) at defensive tackle. Evans racked up a couple of sacks in the game against Calgary last Friday.

Of course, one of my favourite Riders James Patrick (14) is set for another amazing year with his ballhawking skills. Look for him to be a menace to Burris with knock downs and interceptions.

It will be interesting to watch how Saskatchewan shuts down former Rider Nation darling Andy Fantuz. Much as I loved the guy as a Rider I hope he eats turf the whole game. And at the very least I hope he never touches the pig skin. He'll be lining up again Nick Graham (22) or Tristan Jackson (38), backed up by Paul Woldu (21) acquired from Montreal in free agency. Now once upon a time when Coach Chamblin worked as a defensive coordinator in Cow Town, one of his proteges, Brandon Browner (shudder), shut down the 'Tuz like nothing to it. I am wondering if CC has some tricks up his sleeve to keep 'Tuz from being a force tonight. We shall have to wait and see.



From what I've seen on Twitter and media interviews, this team is ready. Indeed they are hungry to get out there and make some magic happen. I haven't seen this kind of enthusiasm and passion from the Green and White in well... over a year now.

I'm not saying we'll beat the Tiggers at home with their wickedly potent receiving core, but I do believe there will be some exciting football ahead for Rider Nation. Believe. Just believe.

Cheer long. Cheer loud! Go GREEN!

Blog note: I can't watch the game tonight. Very sad, I know. I will try to find a way to watch it next week if I can lay my digital hands on some streaming video somewhere. However, I will listening by radio and cheering down the highway as we head for a weekend with family in Manitoba. I will not be able to update this blog with any post-game post til Tuesday. (My apologies.)

Other CFL thoughts: I expect the Lions will pick the Boo Bummers apart in the second half of the CFL double-header.

No comments:

Post a Comment